Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The World Acording to Facebook

Voila! No need to schmooze anymore. No need for bars, No need for 'Speed Dating'. No need for 'Personal Ads'. Just plug your self into Facebook and the world will arrive at your doorstep.

Inflict your every minutest thought on your 'adoring public' 24/7.

Heck, I don't even need a 'publisher' anymore - just create a gallery in "Photos": you are now Published. No looking for an editor to approve your work out of a stack of hundreds of envelopes on their desk. Approve yourself! Pat yourSELF on the back!

All kidding aside, I reconnected (on Facebook) with two younger daughters whom my ex (their mother), had succeeded in alienating from me. I had been at a loss as to how I'd ever connect with them again - how I would ever explain that I really wasn't as awful as I had been portrayed to be.

I responded to a photo that my oldest daughter posted - I had described the plant's botanical name, it's Latin Binomial. I was corrected my someone, a Junior College Biologist, who gave another more up to date Binomial. At that point, one of the two younger daughters posted saying that both names were actually correct. From the other side of the world I had been defended by my Yosemite Botanist daughter. Go Girl! Protect your dad.

I grew up in a world of letters and stamps and phones on the wall or on a desk or in a "Phone Booth". I now live in a world that is seeing the imminent bankruptcy of our postal system. My dad bought the first T.V. on the block: a big bulky blond wood cabinet with a five inch screen - now I spend my evenings writing code on a flat screen Mac, conversing with my children via Facebook in a browser.

No, I don't have an iPhone or an Android - I haven't fallen that far yet. My phone has a flip top and makes and answers calls. No built-in camera. No iPod either. I know it's a losing battle, though. I jumped head first into corporate web development in 1999 and my life has not been the same since. I still pull over when the phone rings, only 'tweet' every once in a while, blog when I remember that I have a blog, try not to code past 4 A.M., and definitely try not to work on more than two web languages at a time. I don't want my head to split in half because one side screams "Java!" and the other side yells "MXML!".

But gotta get back to Facebook - someone may have commented on one of my photo uploads or liked one of my posts. Gotta check - I need the validation.

No comments:

Post a Comment